Monday, June 13, 2011

Cranesbill, Angelica and Garden in a Jar



This past weekend the Birkams and entourage gathered for a family reunion on the banks of Lake Huron just north of that spectacular sunrise city, East Tawas. My contributions to the family festivities were oatmeal rhubarb crisp made with this year's first crop of rhubarb and salsa which I canned last fall with last year's tomatoes, garlic and peppers. One of my cousins (or entourage--the brain doesn't quite remember whom to credit) told me I should market it as garden in a jar. Well, I don't intend to market it, just eat it. But here it is in all its tomato splendor.

The perennial geraniums are in their glory these days. Here is a variety called Patricia which I have never had any problems with and pretty much stays where I planted it. These plants have taken over from the spring daffodils and tulips and eventually will be replaced by the mums come fall. But for now they are the stars of the show.

I have two Angelica plants in bloom right now. Angelica is a biennial. These plants set seed two years ago, grew all of last year and are now in flower. Soon they will die and drop more seed which will hopefully germinate. I have been growing Angelica fairly successfully for several years now. These flowers are spectacular and are definitely worth the effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment