Sunday, May 22, 2011

Pass Along Plants



No, I haven't gone into the nursery business, even if my deck says otherwise. I just find that the longer I garden, the more plants I have after splitting and dividing them in the spring. I do this chore periodically to keep them healthy and blooming. And of course I could not possibly just throw them out if there was someone out there who might appreciate them!

As long as people have been gardening, they have been sharing the plants that they grow. Some plants are just so cool they have to be shared! Take Cannas. I have been growing Cannas for years now, faithfully pulling them up in the fall, storing the tubers in a cool dry place, then starting them in pots in the spring. This year I have about 16 plants, many of which we will add to our garden at the Children's Zoo.
I divided Autumn Joy Sedum this year for the first time and sent a pot to my niece and her husband who recently moved into their new home. So when this reliable plant blooms this fall she can enjoy it along with her Aunt Anne!

No comments:

Post a Comment