Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Salad Days



This past weekend I went to Eastern Market in Detroit with some friends and just had to buy some tomatoes grown in a greenhouse in Ontario. Then I decided it was time to make my first batch of black bean salad of the season. The garlic was from my last year's garden, the cilantro self seeded this year for me and the beans came from Hampshire Farms. Not totally local, but close enough.
Of course a trip to the Detroit area would not be complete without stopping off at Heavenly Scent Herb Farm in Fenton on the way. I came away with a lemon scented geranium, fennel and a few other plants I just had to have. Why did I have to have them? No reason in particular. It's just plant season, the time of the craziness to come out of me. Doesn't seem to happen at any other time of year. Go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment